7. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully place the patties in the skillet taking care not to crowd them. The patties may need to be cooked in two batches. Cook until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes on each side turning once.
8. Transfer the cooked cutlets to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt. Serve while hot with the Chile Aioli.
5. Combine the zucchini, beaten egg, potato, shallot mixture and spices together in a large bowl. Mix well.
One of the favorite items in Indian cuisine is the cutlet. There are many different varieties, from those with meat like fish or chicken, to vegetarian options including beets or mixed vegetables. Since summer vegetables are available in plenty, I decided to make Zucchini Cutlets that feature the raw squash which would leave them crispy and flavorful after they are cooked. Topping them with a dollop of Chile Aioli enhances the flavor.
1. Boil the potato in a pan of water until it is almost cooked through. Let it cool then roughly mash it.
2. Place the zucchini in a colander over a bowl. Add a teaspoon of salt. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Squeeze the zucchini to remove more of the water. Wrap it in a clean kitchen towel then squeeze well to remove more water.
3. To make the Chile Aioli, mash garlic, green chile and salt in small bowl until they form a paste. Whisk in the mayonnaise, pepper and lime juice. Season to taste with more salt and freshly ground black pepper. Chill until ready to serve.
4. In a small skillet over medium heat, fry the shallot, garlic, ginger and chile for 2 minutes until the raw aroma disappears and the shallot is translucent. Let cool.
1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into pieces
1 lb zucchini, coarsely grated
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup shallots, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2-inch piece ginger, minced
1 green chile, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp red chile powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup cream of wheat or bread crumbs
1/4 cup of canola oil, for frying
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 1/2 green chiles, seeds removed and chopped
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp fresh lime juice
6. Using a large spoon or your hands, form 12 small round patties. Place the cream of wheat or bread crumbs in a plate or bowl. One at a time, place each patty in the cream of wheat to cover it completely.