- The recipe for Sweet Milk Pongal is almost the same as the one for Chokara Pongal. Simply substitute water for the milk to make that tasty recipe.
- Substitute slivered or sliced almonds for the cashews for variety.
1 cup new rice
4 cups milk
1 tsp cardamom, ground
1 cup powered jaggery or brown sugar
3 Tbs ghee or melted butter
2 Tbs cashews
1 Tbs raisins
1. Boil the milk in a heavy non-stick pot. When it starts boiling, set aside 2 cups of hot milk.
2. Reduce the heat to low and add the rice. Keep stirring continuously
over medium heat, until the rice is cooked through.
3. If the Pongal thickens before the rice is cooked, add some hot milk
and continue cooking.
4. When the Pongal is thick and cooked through, add the cardamom, jaggery, ghee, cashews and raisins, mix well and remove from the stove.
This is a very traditional recipe for Sweet Milk Pongal. Served as a dessert it is often made during festival season. It is a rich rice pudding with the flavor of cardamom. The raisins and cashews add complimentary flavors. It is delicious!