8. Roast the eggplants for 20 to 25 minutes or until they can be easily pierced with a knife. Gently turn the eggplants over halfway during the cooking process. Remove and serve hot.
4. Cut into the length of each eggplant to make a deep incision, stopping 1/2-inch before reaching the stem. Make another cut that is perpendicular to the first cut.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
6. Stuff each eggplant with the paste using a teaspoon. Hold the cuts open very gently to place the filling so the eggplant does not break. Fill each cut with paste.
7. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Place each stuffed eggplant on the baking sheet. Drizzle a bit of oil over each eggplant. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the eggplants.
3. Transfer all of the fried ingredients to a food processor. Add the turmeric, tamarind and sugar. Grind together with 1 tablespoon of oil. Add a few tablespoons of water to make a smooth paste. Add salt to the ground paste, if needed.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet and fry the onion and tomato. Add the salt and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook until the onion and tomato loose their texture. Remove.
1. Heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil. Fry the sesame seeds and poppy seeds for 1 minute. Add the coconut garlic, and ginger and fry until brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the peanuts, cumin and red chile powder. Stir to coat for 1 minute. Remove and let cool.
2 tsp white sesame seeds
1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1/2 cup coconut, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2-inch piece ginger, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp red chile powder
2 Tbs peanuts, roasted and skinned
1 Roma tomato, chopped
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp tamarind concentrate
1/2 tsp sugar
10-12 Indian eggplants
4 Tbs oil, divided
One of my favorite eggplant recipes is stuffed eggplant. Indian eggplants are ideal for this since one or two make a perfect serving size. The recipe for Roasted Stuffed Eggplant is based on the Indian version but it is roasted in the oven so it can be cooked easily and evenly. The filling is made with tomato and onion puree and ground peanuts, which give it the signature flavor. When the filling is ready, the eggplants are cut into quarters, up to the stem, and then stuffed and roasted. They make an elegant presentation on any dinner plate.