5. Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Place the chicken rolls in the skillet with the seam on the bottom. Cook until browned. Rotate every 3 minutes so each side can brown.
6. Place the skillet in oven and bake until the chicken is just cooked through, about 12 minutes.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butterfly the chicken breasts. Place them between pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper then pound them to 1/2-inch thickness.
3. To prepare the Stuffing, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and fry until they turn translucent. Add the garlic, chile, spices and cashews, then fry for two more minutes. Mix in the rice and lentils. Cook for a few minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Stir in the spinach. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
7. Prepare the Lemon-Chile Butter by whisking all of the ingredients into the butter.
8. Remove the skillet from the oven. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before transferring to individual plates. Spoon some of the Lemon-Chile Butter over each piece of chicken allowing it to melt over the hot chicken then serve.
Butterflied chicken breasts can be stuffed with any number of ingredients for a delicious entrée. These are stuffed with a combination of basmati rice, brown lentils and cashews that have been seasoned with a special blend of Indian spices. This tasty stuffing that provides a variety of different flavors and textures on the palate. The stuffed breasts are browned in a hot skillet then roasted in the oven. The stuffed breasts can be served whole or sliced as desired. I prefer to serve slices because they make a beautiful presentation this way and it results in smaller servings. They are finished with a tangy Lemon-Chile Butter Sauce.
4. Place one quarter of the Stuffing in the center of each chicken breast. Arrange it so it is in a line along the center of the chicken. Wrap the uncovered ends of the chicken around the Stuffing, overlapping slightly to create a roll. Tuck the ends of the chicken into the roll. Press the roll together so it is firm and compact. Tie the rolled chicken using the string pieces near to each end, and again in the middle. Repeat with the remaining pieces of chicken. Press to make sure each roll is firm. Generously season the outside of the rolls with salt and pepper.
4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs olive oil
2 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green chile, minced
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs roasted cashews, chopped
1/2 cup brown lentils, cooked
1 1/2 cups basmati rice, cooked
1/2 cup baby spinach, chopped and packed
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
zest of one small lemon
juice of one small lemon
1/4 tsp red chile powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/2 Tbs cilantro, chopped
plastic wrap or wax paper
kitchen string, 12 1- foot pieces