5. Add the onion pieces and fry until they begin to turn golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium low heat. Add the ground cumin and fenugreek, garam masala and chile powder. Fry the spices for about one minute.
2. Roast 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until the aroma rises. Remove from the stove and set aside.
3. Grind the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds with the fenugreek seeds in a spice grinder to a powder.
7. Mix in the rice, cumin seeds, salt and black pepper. Stir well. Add more salt if desired.
6. Add the spinach and stir. Cook until the spinach wilts and turns glossy.
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp cumin seeds, divided
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp red chile powder
1 small red onion cut into strips
1/2 lb spinach, chopped
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1. Rinse the rice several times until the water runs clear. In a large saucepan, add the rice, 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat then reduce to low. After approximately 15 minutes, check the rice to see if it is done. Remove the rice from the heat as soon as it is done. Rinse several times with cold water to stop the cooking process. Let it drain through a colander.
This recipe for Rice with Spinach and Caramelized Onions is easy to make and full of flavor. It pairs well with chicken, pork or beef. The onions are caramelized to bring out their sweet flavor while the rice cooks. When the onions are ready, the spinach is added to the pot and sautéed quickly before the rice is added. This a a terrific recipe for a special meal.