10 whole cashews
1 1/2 cups Israeli couscous
2 quarts water
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 dried red chile
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
3/4 teaspoon red chile powder
1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek seeds
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
2 shallots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
12 ounces grape tomatoes, cut in half
12 ounces assorted wild mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- I used 6 ounces of shitake mushrooms, 5 ounces oyster mushrooms and 2 ounces cremini mushrooms. Any combination will work.
6. Mix in the couscous and chopped cilantro. Stir in the lemon juice. Adjust the salt as needed. Garnish with the toasted cashews.
Israeli couscous has been a favorite of mine for years. It has very little flavor but enhances the ingredients and spices that are combined with it. Spiced Israeli Couscous with Grape Tomatoes and Wild Mushrooms can be served as a side dish or as a main dish for lunch. This is a very simple recipe but the flavors are delicious
5. Let this cook for 2 minutes then stir in 1/4 cup of water. Let this cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes lose their structure, the mushrooms are tender and the sauce starts to thicken. Turn off the heat.
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the cashews and toast until they turn golden brown. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
2. Return the pan to the stove and add the couscous. Toast it, stirring often, until it turns light brown and a toasted aroma rises. Immediately add 2 quarts of water and a teaspoon of salt. Reduce the heat to low and boil for approximately 10 minutes or until couscous is al dente. Do not let the couscous over cook. Drain of the water through a strainer then rinse with cold water. Let the couscous drain for a few minutes.
3. In a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the whole and ground spices and stir to coat them evenly with the oil. Add the shallot and garlic. Let them fry for 5 minutes.
4. Raise the heat to medium then add the grape tomatoes, mushrooms and salt.