1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Rinse the chicken and dry it well with paper towels, inside and out. Sprinkle salt and pepper inside the breast cavity.
3. Mix the Spice Mix ingredients together in a small bowl. Stir in the olive oil and lemon juice.
4. Set the chicken breast side up in a roasting pan. Tuck the wing tips back under the body. Stuff the cavity with the bay leaf, red chile, garlic, lemon and fenugreek leaves. Tie the legs of the chicken together with string. Spread the marinade over the entire outside skin of the chicken with a basting brush.
5. Pour 1 cup of water around the bottom of the pan. Drizzle a bit of oil over the chicken.
6. Place the pan in the oven. Roast the chicken for approximately 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 175°F in the thigh or 165°F in the breast.
7. Remove the pan from the oven. Baste the chicken with juices in the pan. Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes. Remove the string before carving. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter.
Everyone needs a delicious recipe for roast chicken that can be prepared for a meal with family and friends. I created this recipe for Roast Spiced Chicken because the meat has a rich savory flavor that stands up to any side dish. The spices that make up the masala that is used to coat the entire outside of the chicken, and the lemon, garlic, onion and fenugreek leaves that are placed on the inside, flavor the meat perfectly.
Once the chicken is ready, it can be sliced and placed on a platter or cut into quarters based on your preference. This recipe is so easy to make but it will be a welcome addition to any meal. Serve with any starch and vegetables on the side. I like to serve it with my Barley Pulav recipe.
- Serve with Barley Pulav.
1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
Freshly ground black pepper
4 Tbs olive oil, more for drizzling
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 bay leaf
1 dried red chile
1 head garlic, halved
1 small lemon, halved
1 Tbs dried fenugreek leaves
1 cup water
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp red chile powder
2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Kosher salt
2 ft kitchen string