1. Rinse the fenugreek leaves and dry on a towel. Repeat with the spinach leaves.
2. In a medium skillet over medium heat, roast the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dried red chiles until the aroma raises. Set aside to cool. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles. In the same skillet, roast the cashews until they turn golden brown. Set aside to cool.
3. Place vegetables in large bowl and toss with 1/2 of the pesto. Place the chicken in the center of a large roasting pan that has been lined with foil. Arrange the vegetables around the edges of the chicken.
2 cups fresh fenugreek leaves, packed
1 cup fresh spinach, packed
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 dried red chiles
1 cup raw cashews
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 pinch asafetida
1/2 cup olive oil
Chicken and Vegetables:
1 (5 to 6-pound) roasting chicken
1 lb medium red-skinned potatoes, quartered
1 lb small onions or shallots, peeled
1 bunch baby carrots, cleaned
A perfect recipe for cooking on a chilly day when the family is at home and you have time to spend the time to roast a whole chicken with vegetables to serve for dinner. Everything is roasted together to save time and cleanup. Roasted spices and raw cashews are combined in a food processor with the fenugreek and a bit of fresh spinach, garlic and olive oil and ground to a paste. This Fenugreek Pesto recipe is best when cooked it because the raw flavor of this pesto is too strong to eat as is. The chicken is slathered in the pesto along with the vegetables , then roasted until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is done. The chicken can be cut into pieces or sliced before serving it or people can take their own pieces.
3. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and grind until smooth. If the ingredients do not fit in the bowl at one time, grind half then add the remainder.
4. Roast the chicken and vegetables about 1 hour 15 minutes or until a thermometer placed in inner thigh reads 180°F and potatoes are golden and tender.
Chicken and Vegetables:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Remove the chicken giblets from the cavity of the chicken. Rinse it inside and out, then pat dry. Twist the lower wing bone behind the bird’s back to create a base so the chicken stands breast up. Remove the excess fat from the chicken. Coat the inside and outside of the bird with 1/2 of the pesto. Set aside for 30 minutes to marinate.