1. Grind the coconut in a blender with the cumin seeds and dried red chilies. Set aside.
2. Fry the onion until golden. Set aside.
3. Cook the potatoes and drumsticks. When they are half cooked, add the tomato and any other vegetables you want to add. When the vegetables are cooked, add salt, turmeric and the ground coconut mixture. Add a half cup of water if the gravy is too thick.
4. Finally add the yogurt. Add red chili powder and salt if necessary. Remove and season it with mustard seeds, fried onion and curry leaves.
- Vegetables like cauliflower or eggplant can also be added. If you can't find fresh drumsticks, they can be purchased frozen at the Indian grocery store.
- This is served most often with Chapati but some people prefer to eat it with rice.
1 tomato, large
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 dried red chilies
1 Tbs yogurt or sour cream
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 pinch mustard seeds
Pachacurry Vindaloo, also called Vegetable Vindaloo, is a traditional vegetarian dish that is served for lunch or dinner. It is a feast of vegetables that is healthy and easy to make. A bit of yogurt added at the end makes a creamy curry. This is one of my husband's favorite dishes.