1 lb assorted mushrooms, including shiitake, oyster
and cremini, trimmed and quartered
4 Tbs olive oil, divided
6 cloves garlic, crushed
Leaves from 3 springs fresh thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Arborio rice
1 Tbs butter
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp black peppercorns
1 1-inch piece cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
½ cup red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp salt
4. Boil the water. Add 1 cup of the boiling water and the salt to the pot. Stir continuously until the water is absorbed. Slowly add the second cup of boiling water and continue stirring. When it is absorbed, slowly mix in the last cup of boiling water. Stir until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
5. Roughly chop the roasted garlic pieces then add them along with the mushrooms to the pot. Mix well. Adjust seasoning as desired.
If you like the rich flavor of Indian spices, you will love this dish. In this Risotto with Roasted Mushrooms and Garlic recipe I use an assortment of my favorite mushrooms, including: shiitake, oyster and cremini. In fact, any of your favorites can be used. I cut them into bite-sized pieces then roast them along with whole garlic cloves and thyme leaves. Instead of Indian long-grain rice, this recipe uses the Italian short-grain rice, known as Arborio rice. It has a higher starch content than other varieties so it stands so it pairs well with the earthy flavors and meaty textures of the spices and roasted mushrooms and garlic. This recipe can be served as a side with chicken and beef dishes but, since it is full of flavor, it can also be featured as a main dish for a vegetarian meal.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine the mushrooms, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and black pepper. Transfer to a sheet pan, and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Cover to keep warm.
3. While the mushrooms are cooking, heat a pot with the remaining olive oil and the butter over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add the remaining dry spices and fry for a minute until the aroma rises. Add the onion and fry for 1 minute before adding the garlic. Let this cook for 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes until each grain of rice glistens.