1. Cook the rice in 2 cups of water until the water disappears and the rice is just barely done. Drain off any remaining water.
2. Heat the oil in a pot on medium. Add the Spice Mix, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, salt, 1 sliced onion and garlic.
3. When the onion turns brown, add the saffron in milk, langoustines and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook for 3 minutes.
4. In a baking dish, starting with the cooked rice, place alternating layers of cooked rice and the langoustine/onion mixture. Divide the ingredients to yield 4 layers of each. Place the cashews on the top.
5. Fry the remaining onion in the remaining oil and butter. Add a pinch of salt, paprika and ground cumin. When the onions turn brown, sprinkle them over the layered biryani.
6. Bake the biryani in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Precook the langoustines before adding them to this dish so everything will be cooked evenly.
- To make Seafood Biryani, simply reduce or replace the langoustines with shrimp, scallops, mussels and fish pieces.
1/2 lb langoustines, cleaned
1 cup rice
2 Tbs oil
2 Tbs Fish Biryani Spice Mix
4 cardamom pods
3 cinnamon stick pieces
1/2 tsp salt
2 onions, sliced into slivers
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pinch saffron in 2 Tbs hot milk
1 Tbs oil
1 Tbs butter
1/2 tsp cumin, ground
1/2 tsp paprika
This is a light and easy version of the popular biryani recipe. My husband brought home a bag of frozen langoustines with no purpose in mind. After thinking about what to do with them I realized that Seafood Biryani or Langoustine Biryani might be tasty.
To make this easy I used Fish Biryani spice that I had purchased at my local store. It was made by a company based in Kerala, India that provides individual spices as well as spice mixes. I supplemented the spice blend with my own spices, lightened up the standard recipe to reduce the calories and had dinner on the table in 45 minutes. Even though a purist would not call it "authentic", it turned out to be fantastic! Serve it with some Onion Raita or even plain yogurt on the side and you will receive may rave reviews when your family and friends taste the first bite!