5. Raise the heat to medium. Add the water and tomato paste to the cauliflower. Stir until well mixed and bring to a boil. Add the fava beans and lemon juice. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower and beans are cooked. If the dish is too thick, stir in a little more water to get the desired consistency. Add more salt as desired. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Fava Bean and Cauliflower Masala can be served as a side dish or as a main dish for a vegetarian meal along with fresh naan or chapatis.
Fava beans, an excellent source of fiber and protein, are popular in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern diets. They go by many different names including broad beans and horse beans. It is thought that fava beans originated in North Africa. Since they are so popular and tasty I thought I would include them in my indspired repertoire. Fava Bean and Cauliflower Masala combines my favorite ingredients and spices into one tasty dish. After the fava beans are cooked, the onions and cauliflower are fried until caramelized and tender, and a tasty spice mixture and the fava beans are added. The dish is ready when the sauce, made with tomato, lemon juice and water, thickens and the flavors develop.
1. Soak the fava beans overnight in a bowl filled with cool water.
2. Drain water off the water and rinse. Remove the outer skins of the beans. They should slip off easily.
3. Fill pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the beans and reduce the heat to low. Let the beans simmer for at least one hour or until they are tender.
4. In a hot pan on medium heat, fry the cumin seeds in the oil. Add the onion and cauliflower. Fry until the onion begins to turn brown, about 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to low. Add the coriander, turmeric, ground cumin, garam masala, chile powder, salt, garlic and ginger. Mix and cook for 5 minutes stirring often.
1 cup dried fava beans, medium size
3 Tbs olive oil
1/2 Tbs cumin seeds
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 small cauliflower cut into medium florets
1 Tbs coriander, ground
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp red chile powder
1 tsp salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch piece ginger, minced
3 Tbs tomato paste
1 cup water
1 Tbs lemon juice