2. Heat a large pot over medium-low. Heat the oil then add the cumin seeds. Fry for 30 seconds until the aroma rises.
3. Add the onion and fry for 10 minutes, until translucent.
6. Turn off the heat. Mix in the lemon juice. Adjust the level of salt as needed.
7. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the chopped cilantro.
5. Reduce the heat to low and add the corn. Cook for about 2 minutes just to warm the corn.
4. Mix in the powdered spices and stir for 1 minute until evenly blended, then add the tomatoes. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Do not overcook the tomatoes.
4 ears fresh sweet corn
2 Tbs oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 – 1 tsp red chile powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 lb grape tomatoes, halved
1 tsp lemon juice
chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Roast the corn over a grill or flame. Let it cool then cut the kernels from the cobs.
The recipe for this tasty dish was inspired by a box of fresh Iowa sweet corn that was sent to me as a gift. Recipe ideas started swimming through my head for how to use it. I wanted to make a colorful, light and refreshing dish that was full of flavor and easy to make. After grilling the corn, I cooked a chopped onion in seasoned oil, added the tomatoes and corn, and then cooked the dish just until the tomatoes started to wrinkle and release their juices. This Sweet Corn Masala recipe can be served hot or cold.