In the region surrounding Mediterranean, okra is often cooked with tomatoes and spices. This inspired me to create a recipe for Coriander Spiced Okra which is quick and easy to make. It can be served with any meal. The okras are cooked in a simple sauce that is made with sautéed onions and diced tomatoes, using canned tomatoes to save time. The sauce is seasoned with the flavor of crushed coriander seeds which bring a lemony essence to the recipe. When the okras are done, I augment the flavor with lemon zest and juice.
1. Trim the heads off of the okra. Crush the coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
3. Add the coriander, cumin, red chile powder and fry for 30 seconds then add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, just until it turns translucent. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
1 lb fresh okra
1 1/2 Tbs coriander seeds
3 Tbs olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp red chile powder
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
4. Add the okra and the remaining oil to the skillet then sauté for 4 minutes.
5. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, salt and black pepper. Let this simmer over low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. When the okra is tender, remove from the heat. Stir in the sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Adjust the salt, sugar and lemon juice as desired. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.