1. Cut the chicken into large bite-sized pieces. In a large bowl mix the Marinade ingredients together then add the chicken pieces taking care to ensure all of the chicken is covered. Let this sit for 1 hour.
2. Warm a skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Retaining the excess marinade, remove the chicken pieces from the bowl. Fry the chicken until the pieces are nearly done. Remove them from skillet and set aside.
3. Cut the onion into large pieces. Grind the onion and garlic to a paste in a food processor or blender.
4. Heat a skillet over medium heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil then add the cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and cashews. When the seeds start to pop and the cashews turn golden, add the onion-garlic paste. When the onions are cooked and most of the water has evaporated, stir in the remaining marinade. Let this cook for a few minutes. When oil starts to separate, add the chicken and mix well.
5. Add 1/2 cup of water and the salt, stir well and simmer on low heat until the chicken is cooked through.
6. Add saffron to warm milk.
7. After the gravy thickens add the saffron milk and stir for 2 minutes. Add the cream and stir well. Garnish with a few more saffron threads and the chopped cilantro and serve.
- Increase the cream to 1/2 cup if you prefer a curry that is less thick.
- Serve with plain or cumin rice.
1 lb chicken
1/4 cup oil, divided
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
2 cardamom pods, crushed
1 small white onion
2 cloves garlic
2 pinches saffron threads, plus more for garnish
2 Tbs warm milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 tsp salt
2 Tbs cilantro, chopped
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 tsp ginger, grated
1/2 tsp red chile powder
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
Saffron is one of the most important spices in Indian cuisine. In my recipe for Chicken and Saffron Curry, I marinate chicken pieces in a delightful spice and yogurt mixture before it is cooked then add it to a rich, creamy curry that has been infused with saffron threads. It is easy to make and great with plain rice and a simple green vegetable. It is a heavenly dish that family will love.