Incorporating the flavors of Bombay, these tasty burgers are flavored with exotic spices and peppers then topped with cool mint sauce and cheese. The meat is seasoned with a special spice mix that is similar to that which is used in kababs. Like most Indian recipes, onion, ginger, garlic and chiles are fried in a bit of oil and added to the spices mix. The Burgers are served on north Indian naans with slices of cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion. To bring the flavors together, I serve them with a Mint Sauce. The flavor of the mint and tang of the yogurt complement the flavors in the meat perfectly!
4. To make the Mint Sauce, place the mint, cilantro, green chile, garlic and lime juice in a food processor and grind until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. Grill the burgers until charred on the bottom. Flip over and cook until charred on the other side. Continue cooking until they are done, as desired. Place a piece of Monterey Jack cheese on each burger. Turn off the heat and let the burgers rest until the cheese melts
3. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and cooled onion mixture in a large bowl. Form into 4 round patties, about an inch thick. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to let the flavors blend.
1. Combine the Spice Mix ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a heated skillet. Fry the onion and Anaheim pepper on medium-low heat until the onion is translucent. Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic, ginger, cilantro and the Spice Mix. Mix well and fry for 2 more minutes. Let cool.
6. Heat the naans per the package directions, then cut in half.
7. Place a burger on each naan, add a slice of tomato, and an onion and a piece of lettuce. Top with a few spoonfuls of the Mint Sauce. Top with the other naan half.
1 1/2 lb ground sirloin
2 Tbs oil
1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
1 Anaheim pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2-inch piece ginger, minced
2 Tbs chopped cilantro
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp Kashmiri red chile powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp amchur powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground clove
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 generous handful mint leaves, chopped
1 handful cilantro leaves, chopped
1 Thai green chile, seeds removed and minced
1/2 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbs lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt
4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
4 red onion slices
4 tomato slices
4 large lettuce leaves
4 toasted naans, cut in half