4. Place each Dosa on a plate. Fill each one with a generous scoop of the Asparagus Salad.
2. In the same water, boil the edamame for 4 minutes. Remove from the water. Place on a paper towel to cool.
3. Combine the asparagus, tomatoes, onion and edamame in a large bowl. Pour in half of the dressing and mix. Add more dressing if needed. Add the chopped cilantro, red pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Cook the dosa for about 2 minutes, until the bottom turns brown. Using a silicone spatula, loosen the dosa from the pan and flip it over to cook the other side, about 2 more minutes. Continue to make remaining dosas, 8 in total.
My recipe for Spiced Asparagus Wraps is new take on salads and Indian dosas that was inspired by one created by Cristeta Comerford, the White House chef. The concept combines a salad made with the freshest ingredients dressed in an Indian inspired vinaigrette that is served in traditional India dosas, rice pancakes. It can be served as a side salad or as a main course.
Garam Masala Vinaigrette:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the spices, Dijon mustard and lime juice. Slowly whisk in the oil.
1. Trim off the bottom ends of the asparagus then cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Place the asparagus into a pot of salted boiling water. Blanch for 90 seconds. Using tongs remove the asparagus from the pot and place into an ice bath for a few minutes. Spread the asparagus out on a paper towel to cool completely and absorb any water.
1. Soak the rice, lentils and fenugreek seeds in water and allow them to soak overnight so they become lighter and fluffier.
2. Grind the mixture along with the salt in a blender until smooth. The dosa batter should have the consistency of pancake batter. Let it sit overnight for fermentation.
3. Heat a lightly oiled 9-inch skillet over medium heat. Pour one-half cup of the batter onto the pan. I find it works best to hold the pan with one hand and tilt it all around in a circular motion while simultaneously pouring in the batter with the other hand. This way the batter forms an even coating on the bottom of the pan.
1 cup long grain rice
1/4 cup urud dal
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp salt
Garam Masala Vinaigrette:
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp red chile powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbs lime juice
1/4 cup canola oil
1 lb asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces
1/2 cup edamame
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup red onion, minced
1 Tbs cilantro, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch red pepper flakes